I woke up today craving homemade banana bread. Sadly I had to face the tough reality; I only had one ripe banana, and I was feeling too lazy to run to the store just for bananas. Luckily cravings for me breed creativity, so I came up with the genius idea of making a mini loaf of banana bread in a coffee filter!
I sized down my go-to banana bread recipe, and lo and behold, I created this amazing banana bread loaf that basically looks like an oversized muffin! It’s so cute that I just want to make mini banana bread all the time! Who needs full-sized anyways!
This recipe is super easy to make, and pretty healthy as far as banana bread goes!
Coffee Filter Banana Bread Recipe
Prep Time: 5 minutes.
Cook Time: 20 minutes.
- 1 very ripe banana
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used canola, but you can use any oil; coconut oil works great!)
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (I use himalayan salt)
- 1/4 cup cane sugar (optional; I actually left this out because my banana was very ripe and sweet)
- 1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Place coffee filter in oven-safe glass bowl, and brush with a little oil to help remove the banana bread more easily.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil, sugar, and egg. Add banana and vanilla extract, and whisk until smooth – I like having small banana chunks left!
- Next, add in baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg. Lastly, add flour and mix well to avoid lumps. Do not overmix.
- Fold in chocolate chips using a silicone spatula, then pour the banana bread mixture into the coffee filter, and place in the oven.
- Cook for ~17-20 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
After 20 minutes or so, remove from oven and let cool for ~5 minutes.
The banana bread should come out of the filter pretty easily. Enjoy!
Let me know if you try out this recipe or the crazy coffee filter method!
Follow me on Instagram and Twitter!